Alternative to Droid Cleanse - Star San

Darren

Site Administrator
Staff member
The Droid Cleanse is a top idea making it ever so simple and I will continue to use them in the BeerDroid since they come with the BrewPrint but they only include 1 in the pack, for each brew 2 is required (sanitising BeerDroid and kegging equipment).

The Droid Cleanse costs $1.50 per tablet so not much but an alternative is using a no rinse sanitising solution called Star San.

You can pickup a 236ml (8oz) bottle of Star San for ~$25 off eBay, my intended use is mix the solution up at 1.5ml per 1L water, items sprayed with Star San only require 1 - 2 minutes contact time and sanitised at that point.

Cheers

Deeks

BrewArt Rookie
Great idea, I just bought some starsan from Brewmart and it seems to work very well with sanitising the kegging equipment. Only issue I found is that I spilt a lil bit on the kitchen bench which left a white stain so will need to be careful in the future when using this stuff. I may even start using it to sanitise the Beerdroid instead of buying the Droid cleanse tablets which works out cheaper since I buy all my ingredients individually

Darren

Site Administrator
Staff member
Very good point about spilling so easy to do as well!

I was reading over on the facebook group that one of the guys would break part of the tablet off and use that for the kegging equipment - something simple but didn't even give that a thought!

I think more along the lines of break the tablet in half for any kegging equipment, if a full tablet is required for 10L then makes sense that half is used for kegging being only 5L required if that.

Jaydub

BrewArt Rookie
Starsan is top stuff ni recommend everyone grabs a bottle but for others that may want an alternate solution without the extra cost, I just sanitise the droid as per the tablet included in the Brewprint, then store the 10L solution once drained for use later with the kegging equipment. Sanitisers will have a limited shelf life but I find it lasts long enough to sanitise the kegging equipment once fermentation is completed.

Deeks

BrewArt Rookie
I think the Droid cleanse are great to use but at $1.50 per tablet is a bit expensive which is why I went with starsan which works out a bit cheaper since I can get 946ml for $40 which works out to be about $0.75 per brew. I also buy the ingredients separately instead of as a BrewPrint which saves even more on the cost.

Jaydub

BrewArt Rookie
Yep, if you're buying ingredients rather than Brewprints it's definitely in your best interest to look at starsan and bulk priming. I'll be doing just that for my future Brewprint recipes.

Darren

Site Administrator
Staff member
I have enough Droid Cleanse at the moment to last a few brews, how are you guys using starsan in the BeerDroid / kegging equipment?

Certainly much more economical without a doubt than using the Droid Cleanse, as mentioned previously for kegging equipment I use half a tablet considering you only require 5L of water although probably don't even need that much water to be honest.

Once I find Brews I want to brew rather than try this and try that I will certainly head down the path of adding individual items to the car.

Deeks

BrewArt Rookie
I mix 1.5ml of starsan per litre of water.
I fill the Droid to about 12L of water and put 4L of water in a pot for the kegging equipment.
So far this has worked well.
I still got 4 Droid cleanse left so will just use these up first then go back to the starsan.

Jaydub

BrewArt Rookie
I put 20ml starsan in the droid, fill up to the brim, let it sit for 10 mins with lid on, drain into a 20l saucepan then pull tap off and drop into the saucepan, along with any other utensils I'll be using, like hop ball strainer, mixing spoons etc. I then store the starsan solution in a cube until kegging/bottling day and use the same solution.

I do the same thing with the droid cleanse but add in about 5ml starsan while it dissolves. I usually interchange between the 2 options but once I start buying ingredients I will just use starsan.

Darren

Site Administrator
Staff member
Great being able to share these tips and hopefully assist someone else along the way.

I ordered about 20 of the Droid Cleanse so have enough to last a while but will certainly begin using starsan once they run out, whilst a few dollar saving here and there by the time you add ingredients individually it starts to add up pretty quickly over a number of brews.

Deeks

BrewArt Rookie
That is a good tips, I wasn't reusing the star san mixture for the kegging gear so was probably wasting it a bit.

I spose the Droid cleanse isn't that bad on price and is good for convenience if you don't wanna mess around with using star san and it is also good for people that are new to brewing and makes it a bit easier to sanitise.

Darren

Site Administrator
Staff member
Spot on there Deeks, very much a good convenience, once I've finished a batch I want to get the next one on with StarSan requiring very little contact time that makes this a reality.

Waiting the 2 hours is a bit extreme with the Droid Cleanse, I think BrewArt is probably being a little over cautious on the time frame required but having said that I don't blame them.

Thinking long term though who doesn't like saving money which StarSan and the likes certainly does without fail and even better reusing it something which I had never considered.

Darren

Site Administrator
Staff member
Spot on, StarSan is a no rinse sanitiser, even with the BeerDroid Cleanse I don't wash any of it away and haven't had any issues with the beers coming out to date.

Pursya

BrewArt Rookie
Brewart did tell me once that they were working to have Star San tested for approval in the BrewArt system.
Haven't heard anything since.