Alternative to Liquid Primer - Dextrose

Deeks

BrewArt Rookie
When kegging my second brew I used dextrose to prime it in the keg instead of the liquid primer. I just poured my first glass and it worked very well. It works out much cheaper than buying priming liquid which costs $2.50 per keg. I used 40g (8g per L priming rate) of dextrose which I dissolved in 20ml of warm water boiled in the kettle and poured this through a funnel into the keg before I filled it with my brew. I can get 1kg of the Coopers dextrose for $5 so it works out about $0.20 per keg to prime it. I also order the ingredients individually which means I don't need to worry about ordering the liquid primer which saves me even more on the cost of the BrewPrint.

Deeks

BrewArt Rookie
Cheers, I just wanted to reduce the cost of making brew so it will be more worth it.
I can't believe the liquid primer costs $2.50 which seems quite expensive

Lambo

BrewArt Rookie
Gidday anyone looked at using the carb drops with the new liners (spears). Can see possibility first couple of glasses cloudy due to sediment. But would like to hear of any experiences/issues.
Bob

Darren

Site Administrator
Staff member
Actually that’s an interesting thought hadn’t even considering using carbonation drops.

I have just gone down the path of dextrose and so far pretty happy with the results.

Deeks

BrewArt Rookie
Carbonation drops should work ok although they are a lil bit more expensive then using dextrose.
I just had my first go at filling the new liners and used 20g of dextrose after filling the keg with beer and it reacted a bit and spewed out some beer so it is best to put the dextrose in first before filling it with beer.

Dean

BrewArt Rookie
I’ve been using 25g of dextrose but only done that 3 times so far, 2 kegs are still in secondary & the 1 I did drink was ok

Lambo

BrewArt Rookie
Carbonation drops should work ok although they are a lil bit more expensive then using dextrose.
I just had my first go at filling the new liners and used 20g of dextrose after filling the keg with beer and it reacted a bit and spewed out some beer so it is best to put the dextrose in first before filling it with beer.
Hey Deeks are you still doing 40g of dextrose in 20ml of water per keg (saw that post was 2016)? Have you had to make any changes or is it all good? I just read the post above where Dean is doing 25g Dextrose.

Deeks

BrewArt Rookie
Hey Deeks are you still doing 40g of dextrose in 20ml of water per keg (saw that post was 2016)? Have you had to make any changes or is it all good? I just read the post above where Dean is doing 25g Dextrose.
I have reduced the dextrose to 20g now as I was worried that I might overcarbonate the keg and it would explode or cause the beer to pour really heady.
In the old liners I was dissolving the dextrose in water so it could pour it through the filter but in the new liners I put the dextrose straight in since it has no filter.

neils

BrewArt Rookie
Ok so the consensus is to prime 2 kegs you need 20-40g of dextrose to dissolved in 20ml of water per keg. I just put on my brew yesterday with a half a tin of Coppers Australian Pale Ale, 300mg of dextrose and 140g of additional sugar. As i live in Singapore the ambient
temp of the keg storage room is 28c.