BrewArt Adventures - Some thoughts

Darren

Site Administrator
Staff member
So only 2 brews in but already finding some things which have been on my mind to what home brewing was for me a few years ago.

• Kegging, put in the hops and primer, should you shake it? This for me was common practice when bottling so why wouldn't kegging be any different?
  • Getting the fitting on to the beer liner certainly took some patience for me, I found applying pressure and turning at the same time seemed to be the only way of getting it on without almost striping the thread.
  • Just before kegging should you let it go to 'storage' mode (4 degrees Celsius), previously this was used to drop sediment to the bottom minimising what was in the bottle / keg when it came pour time. Looking at what was remaining in the BeerDroid I don't think this is required but having said that I haven't had a beer yet from either keg so don't know whether this will be an issue.
  • I select a brew from my shelf in the app and it comes up as 'Custom', I thought it would have picked up 'Ale' - perhaps a firmware bug that might be addressed.

Interested to hear others thoughts or other things that you might have noticed.

Cheers
Darren

Deeks

BrewArt Rookie
So only 2 brews in but already finding some things which have been on my mind to what home brewing was for me a few years ago.

• Kegging, put in the hops and primer, should you shake it? This for me was common practice when bottling so why wouldn't kegging be any different?
  • Getting the fitting on to the beer liner certainly took some patience for me, I found applying pressure and turning at the same time seemed to be the only way of getting it on without almost striping the thread.
  • Just before kegging should you let it go to 'storage' mode (4 degrees Celsius), previously this was used to drop sediment to the bottom minimising what was in the bottle / keg when it came pour time. Looking at what was remaining in the BeerDroid I don't think this is required but having said that I haven't had a beer yet from either keg so don't know whether this will be an issue.
  • I select a brew from my shelf in the app and it comes up as 'Custom', I thought it would have picked up 'Ale' - perhaps a firmware bug that might be addressed.

Interested to hear others thoughts or other things that you might have noticed.

Cheers
Darren
Hey Darren,
I have also only kegged 2 brews and currently onto my 3rd brew in the droid so I'm still a newbie and no expert but I found watching the 101 videos and reading the FAQ on the Brewart site helps a lot.

In response to your questions:
- Both hops and primer and liquid so should mix with the brew while kegging if they are put into the keg first
- I agree the keg liner is a bit hard to screw in and have seen many people on facebook have leaks in the keg due to not being screwed on properly so this needs some care to make sure it is done properly
- Brewart recommended kegging at 18 degrees which is because the keg needs to be conditioned at room temperature anyway so won't take as long to reach this temperature to start conditioning the keg
- That is correct, when you start a Brewprint in the droid using the program from the app then it will display custom on the droid instead of ale or lager since the settings are slightly different to the regular ale and lager programs

Hope this helps.
Cheers,
Deeks

Darren

Site Administrator
Staff member
It all makes sense when someone else explains it :) Thanks for that. The videos are excellent without a doubt, didn't catch the FAQ's on the Brewart site until recently, they seem to be well hidden away.

Must say I hadn't even picked up the difference between custom and ale, I thought I've picked an ale style BrewPrint so it would use the ale program but not the case.