Brewing And Recommended Secondary Fermentation Times

cactus

BrewArt Rookie
OK, so I am now brewing Lighthouse Pacific and have read "add hops" or words to that effect. So do I add more hops of the same (H6), and if so how many extra? PS - I love hoppy beers.

Darren

Site Administrator
Staff member
Depends, I am still trying to find that balance.

I like hoppy beer too, I did the Lawn Mower Lager recently with 20g Galaxy I believe it was and could actually taste the hops for a change! I upped it to 25g on the most recent batch to see how that turns out.

Still need to work on my hop tea, ordered a bigger 1L coffee plunger to replace the 300ML one I had been using after it spewed out all over the walls - found it very cloudy but of the opinion cloudy beer who cares it tasted great.

Pursya

BrewArt Rookie
Australian Premium Lager.
5 weeks secondary.
Very nice drop, good carbonation.
Out of the bottle, not great head retention.
Will definitely brew again, and will report on the keg when tapped.

Darren

Site Administrator
Staff member
All Updated.

I have the Bohemian Lager going at the moment, ticked over 13 days last night.

Starting to look cloudy so today is the day I think, looking forward to getting the next batch on.

Darren

Site Administrator
Staff member
I contacted tech support, apparently it stopped I think it was then picked up again at day 12.

I was very glad to keg it and start the APA, see if it’s as good as it was when I first started or whether the lagers have tainted my taste buds.

cactus

BrewArt Rookie
I just tried Monch Lager after only 3 weeks (couldn't wait). Holy mackerel, no wonder people rave over it - delicious. I was going to wait until Xmas day but not sure it will last that long now. However, I expect this brew to get even better after a few more weeks.

Darren

Site Administrator
Staff member
If you like the Mönch Lager definitely put Neder Lager on the top of your to do list.

I think this is probably up there in terms of a favourite however I did really enjoy the Lawn Mower Lager with 20g Galaxy hops - had a really nice hoppy taste to it.

Just curious now how the Bavarian Lager went with 25g hops.

Darren

Site Administrator
Staff member
All up to date now, added Golden Days of Summer Ale as well, kicked this off this morning so should have EOF by the end of next week.

As a matter of interest Dean did you bottle or keg? I noticed in the instructions 'This brew requires additional ingredients that you will need to source; half a Star Anise, half a Vanilla Bean, 1 Cinnamon stick. After fermentation, boil 1 cup of water, add spices and infuse for 10 minutes, tip into BeerDroid along with single Hop pouch addition.'

Wasn't too sure whether to split the infused ingredients into 2 kegs including the hop pouch or into the BeerDroid then into the 2 kegs, the latter doesn't seem to be accurate but unsure.

Dean

BrewArt Rookie
I bottled it as I want to take it away over Xmas , so it all went into the droid for 24hrs after EOF. I think the idea is to do that for kegging too so you don’t have to split the single hop pouch between kegs.