Highlands IPA - "like licking the sink"

cactus

BrewArt Rookie
So for my second Droid brew I brewed a Highlands IPA. Unfortunately it has turned out, as my wife describes it, as "like licking the sink", by which I think she means it has a metallic taste. I am assuming some sort of infection, as I have had a similar thing when brewing a normal can of Coopers Heritage Lager (one infection in 20 years).

Now when I lived in Sydney and used tap water I had no real issues with infections or 'metallic' tasting beer, but since moving to Coffs Harbour and being on tank water I have had this twice in the 2 years I've been here. I actually don't think it is the water, as my first brew was a Belgian Lager, which turned out just fine, so what is it? Does the Droid need super-disinfecting after every brew? I must say I am rather gutted, I was really looking forward to this brew, but alas it has to be poured down the drain.

Pursya

BrewArt Rookie
Did you sterilise the Droid before starting your brew?
No need to super disinfect the Droid. Just use the Droid Cleanse tablet for the specified two hours.
And did you disinfect all the kegging components?
Did you taste the brew before kegging?

cactus

BrewArt Rookie
Yes, I did sterilise the droid, but I didn't use the Brewart tablet, I used Morgan's Sanitize which is sprayed on. Maybe that's not enough? what I used to do when I used a normal plastic brewing tub was put boiling water in and shake before I put the ingredients in, but I can't do that with the Droid of course. I don't keg, I bottle (as I have done for the past 20 years) and I cooked the bottles in the oven before I bottled, just to make sure. I guess I'll just have to get some of the Brewart tables and try again, although my first brew did come out just fine.

Pursya

BrewArt Rookie
Spraying may not be enough.
The tablet requires two full hours in the Droid. That's pretty intensive.
Your first brew may have been successful because there was no residual brew to offer possible contamination.
So maybe there was something still in the Droid from that first brew that turned bad.
Who knows..
Best though that you spend the dollar fifty for a tablet.

cactus

BrewArt Rookie
I'll make sure I do that when I get my new Droid.

Actually, the wife bought some 'hospital grade' sanitising tablets from the chemist. That should be exactly the same thing don't you think?

gavc

BrewArt Rookie
Actually, I found the Highlands IPA was a little metallic when it was fresh (2 weeks), by 4 weeks it was delicious.
I think its the hop extract just needs time to infuse.