Keg Labels

Darren

Site Administrator
Staff member
The BeerDroid has had a pretty hard time keeping up with brewing demands and just knew by the time I got a few brews in I wouldn't remember what was what so headed to officeworks to see if I could find something I could just put a couple of details on so as I picked up a keg I knew exactly what it was.

I ended up with
Avery Size 4 tags in a lot of 100, $11.80
Cotton twine, $4.20

I really wanted elastic bands but wasn't sure whether these would go around the keg neck so ended up with twine instead.

Still I believe stick on labels would be better but as yet haven't found anything reusable and that wasn't likely to have leftover part remaining on the keg when attempted to remove.

Anyone else came up with other idea's?

Attachments

Deeks

BrewArt Rookie
That's a good idea to label the kegs as it is something I hadn't thought about doing it until now.

I saw someone on the Facebook page made up their own labels which look good and all they did is print out some pictures from the BrewArt site and laminated them and stuck them on.

I only have 4 full kegs atm so it's pretty easy to tell what is in which keg since I have them sorted in order of oldest to newest keg but I will start labelling them now to help in case I forget.

Darren

Site Administrator
Staff member
I think it starts to get harder the more kegs you have, luckily I have only done a few batches and have know roughly where each of them are at, the app is handy as well on that front to see where things are at and what is ready.

Actually that's not a bad idea printing them out and laminating them, could easily track down some round velcro dots to put on each of the kegs easily enough.

Jaydub

BrewArt Rookie
I do the exact same thing but I use rubber bands instead. I can see it getting out of hand if you don't keep track of what you're doing.

Darren

Site Administrator
Staff member
What size rubber bands are you using? That was my first option but at a quick glance visualising the neck size it just didn't come to me.

Much easier than cutting string :)

Jaydub

BrewArt Rookie
I just use one's i had in the stationary draw at home. They are red ones and are about 10cm in diameter. Probably a little bigger than what is needed though.

Darren

Site Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for that, will have to keep an eye out when I'm next at officeworks, no biggie though.

Rubber bands or elastic bands much easier but I'll certainly look at printing out and laminating some cards since I only need to know what is in the keg since the app does a great job of letting us know what's there already.

Deeks

BrewArt Rookie
I was thinking it would be a great idea if you could print the labels using the app and then have an ID no. associated with it to keep track of the kegs in the Brew Journal.

I might copy the picture of the BrewPrint from the Brewart site and then add a line under the picture so I can put on the date it was kegged and then print it out. I don't have a laminator so I guess I will just get some small plastic sleeve and stick it onto the keg.

Darren

Site Administrator
Staff member
As I'm sitting there cleaning up all the primer and hops pouches left over from kegging the Coopers Pale Ale I spot a rubber band on the floor from the keg liners / beer lines.

Well it turns out these are a perfect fit :D No more twine for me as I have plenty of these around the place considering I ordered pretty much $150 worth of keg liners / beer lines to get free shipping - figured I'd use them eventually.

At a glance it sure is handy to see what date and any other info, there's also the app for that, as we are all individuals we'll find differing ways of doing things - I must say I don't like writing! Geez who does that these days lol

DroidDude

BrewArt Rookie
The BeerDroid has had a pretty hard time keeping up with brewing demands and just knew by the time I got a few brews in I wouldn't remember what was what so headed to officeworks to see if I could find something I could just put a couple of details on so as I picked up a keg I knew exactly what it was.

I ended up with
Avery Size 4 tags in a lot of 100, $11.80
Cotton twine, $4.20

I really wanted elastic bands but wasn't sure whether these would go around the keg neck so ended up with twine instead.

Still I believe stick on labels would be better but as yet haven't found anything reusable and that wasn't likely to have leftover part remaining on the keg when attempted to remove.

Anyone else came up with other idea's?
I've been using a cheap label maker but reckon a whiteboard marker would be ideal - just rub it off and re-label when kegging the next batch.

Kyle

BrewArt Rookie
DSCN3067.JPG DSCN3068.JPG
Hi Guys
I got the kids to print off labels (snip from website ) and laminate a page full, cut them up and I blue tack them to the kegs, when I put in brewflo I transfer the tag to it. As you can see on one tag after altering the brewprint I will write on tag with white borad marker and also update brew journal, only use app on my phone for dates.

Shano

BrewArt Rookie
Just using a cheap label maker from Woolies. I tried the white board maker as well, seemed to be ok as the kegs aren't handled much to have the writing rub of.

Dan B

BrewArt Rookie
IMG_0379.JPG
I have been using masking tape and a black marker. Holds on strong enough but leaves no nasty glue residue when you remove the tape.
I've also used a sandwich bag and rubber band to keep the valves from getting dusty while they are stored for secondary fermentation.
Cheers!
(Dust cover not shown in picture as it looks even tackier than my tape-labels)

I thought about just printing onto normal paper and putting it into keg before the liner. The theory is the paper would be pushed up against the inside of the keg as the liner is filled. Haven't tried it yet but I see no issues.